It’s official, Riesling has now overcome Chardonnay as the number one varietal in Washington State. USDA reported that in 2008, 28,500 tons of Riesling were harvested in the Washington. This anchors Washington as the proeminent Riesling producer in the United States well ahead of California. This tonnage is enough to make about 1.8 million cases of Riesling. Thinking about who is making all that Riesling, I took my calculator and came up with 1.56 million cases:
- St Michelle wine group (St Michelle, Snoqualmie, Eroica, Columbia Crest): About 1 million cases
- Hogue Cellars (Constellation Wine group): About 160,000 cases
- Ascentia Wine Group (Columbia winery and Covey Run): About 140,000 cases
- Pacific Rim: 120,000 cases
- Precept Brands (Mainly with Washington Hills brand): 60,000 cases?
- Washington Wine Group (Silverlake): May be 40,000 cases?
- Badger Mountain Winery: May be 10,000 cases?
- Diageo Northwest (Sagelands and Canoe Ridge): About 25,000 cases
If you have any insight on the right number, please write a post!